Old 31-05-2009, 08:50 PM posted to alt.home.repair,alt.home.lawn.garden
LouB LouB is offline

Default Identify lawn weeds

Hipupchuck wrote:
RicodJour wrote:
On May 31, 1:24 pm, Jim Elbrecht wrote:
On Sun, 31 May 2009 12:55:14 -0400, Tony Sivori
wrote:

Like Demons, they seem to be easier to kill once you know their
name. :-)
Weed #1
http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo...Cy5g?feat=dire...

Oxalis

Weed #2
http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo...QEyQ?feat=dire...

Located in Zone 6, Louisville KY
Looks like Purslane from here. In my book, they aren't weeds,
they're salad greens. The oxalis is a biting little thing that
brightens up a salad - especially if you're Irish.

The purslane is good raw or cooked. When cooked it acts like okra and
adds that gooey texture.

Search for purslane recipe and you'll find hundreds of ways to eat
this one.

Jim
[and have your soil tested and balance the nutrients and you'll
probably get rid of both as they like 'poor' soil]

You can also treat your lawn with corn meal - it inhibits broadleaf
germination.

But I agree with Jim. We're omnivores - if you want to get rid of
something, eat it.

Or smoke it. The police will come and pull it all up.

You know that pigeon problem we have in cities all over? Well, I was
in Egypt recently and saw some of these structures:
http://www.jpgmag.com/photos/11529
The occupants end up he
http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...d=adma.1F9hF_o

LOL