Old 31-05-2009, 11:59 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default 2 questions from new poster

On Sun, 31 May 2009 08:18:16 -0700 (PDT), joco31
wrote:

This is a wonderful forum for learning, and I hope someone can offer
suggestions for 2 issues we face in our yard. The first is that we
have an underground well and need to fertilize the lawn over it. Can
anyone recommend a safe method?

Fertilize in the fall. I found that applications of lawn fertilizer
at half rate and using a mulching mower provides a lot of nitrogen.
Take soil tests to know what and how much fertilizer you need. Use a
lawn spreader. Lawns do not care what brand of fertilizer you buy.

The second and most perplexing is our yard has an overabundance of
poison ivy. My husband and I are so allergic, we've needed medical
attention after attempting to remove it. Is there any way to get rid
of the stuff without actually touching it? I realize how stupid this
sounds, but we've tried everything we could find in garden sections
and every year it seems like there's more than before.
Thank you.

Here, you can use RoundUp. The younger than plant, the easier the
kill. I get new poison ivy plants every year because the birds drop
seeds with a packet of fertilizer for the little devils.