Old 01-06-2009, 01:08 AM posted to rec.gardens
Steve Daniels Steve Daniels is offline

Default roots taking over!

On Sun, 31 May 2009 19:21:16 +0100, against all advice, something
compelled thh20 , to say:

Hello all! Brand new to this forum and to gardening, so please bear with
me!

Our neighbours have a large tree (I THINK it's an elm tree, but I'm not
sure) growing right alongside our fence. There are a few places where
the tree roots are above the ground on our side of the fence, and these
roots have sprouted new mini trees. Is there a way I can "neuter" the
roots so they don't sprout, without killing the tree? The roots come up
right around where I have flowers planted, so I don't want to damage my
plants with any kind of chemicals or aggressive digging, if I can avoid
it... If I saw the roots that are above ground off, will that kill the
tree??

Cut off all of the suckers, and cover the root with black
plastic?

--

Don't worry about people stealing an idea. If it's original, you will
have to ram it down their throats.