Old 01-06-2009, 02:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
bob[_1_] bob[_1_] is offline

Default Too late to prune a rhododendron?

On Mon, 01 Jun 2009 09:13:04 +0200, bob wrote:

One further question, if you have time. What you would do, if
anything, to militate against a very alkaline mains water supply when
acid-lovers need water after a long dry spell? Unfortunately I
haven't yet got organised enough to have a rain-water butt.

Is there a straightforward additive/antidote to reduce pH?

I've just done a cursory search and I see a couple of homely remedies
in:-

1 tblspoon white vinegar /gall water
used tea bag/gall water

to be used once a month.

The vinegar solution had already occured to me although I wondered
about Sarson's malt and I had no idea what quantity. Not sure about
the tea-bag. I'd be surprised if there was much acidity to infuse in
a gallon of water if the bag has already done its stuff.

What do you think? And is this gallon of solution to be shared out
amongst several plants as a top-up or perhaps a gallon per plant?