Old 01-06-2009, 08:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Al[_4_] Al[_4_] is offline

Default How to kill off an ash tree ?

An ash tree growing tight alongside the buttress of an old building.
The trunk is about 10" dia.
We have cut the tree down, and limbs off, as far as possible in the
hope that it would gracefully die.
It still makes very robust shoots and this is the 6th season of our
trying to be rid of it.
The current plot is to drill holes in the trunk and insert poison of
some kind.

Ash trees are a complete b*gger. I have a 2" 'trunk' by my fence that is
still shooting after 10 years of weekly abuse with shears.

I suspect that drilling holes down into the trunk and filling with creosote
might work. Not tried it yet, but ten years of this miserable runt
sprouting along my fence is enough to tempt me ...

Al.