Old 02-06-2009, 09:29 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_4_] Sacha[_4_] is offline

Default Mail Order Plants

On 2009-06-01 21:29:33 +0100, rabc said:

Ordered some plants from a dealer online..Never again 1 box looked like
it had been kicked all the way from the supplier, another delivery
containing 6 x plug plants was forced through the letterbox,...In total
24 plants were ruined
contacted the supplier who said they would be replaced, 6 were replaced
the other 18 they couldnt so my debit card is to be credited, took
delivery of another 198 bedding plug plants, some looked ok some looked
slightly stressed will be very lucky if 50% survive to plant
out....................

I hope you have asked the supplier to ensure that you get a claim form
from the courier, too, if there's any question of you being out of
pocket. We've only recently started doing mail order though my husband
was very reluctant at first for all the reasons you mention ( we don't
do plugs) We do use a courier and the only complaint we've had in 10
months was from someone who said it was okay to deliver plants while
she was away as she had reliable staff. She then wrote and said the
plants were very dry when they arrived the day she got back from work
and the boxes knocked about. I used the courier's tracking service
and found they had been delivered and who had signed for them. They
were delivered, as usual, by 3pm next day, as she'd instructed and
*not* the day she got back to work but had in fact, been taken in by
someone who hadn't bothered to unpack them and who had been shuffling
them around his office for two weeks! Happily, she wrote to me,
explaining it wasn't our fault or our courier's and saying she thought
the plants would survive. This is why we use a service where we and
the courier insist on a signature on delivery. There are other
Nurserymen posting here who use a similar system successfully.
Personally, I've used other mail order plant suppliers with no trouble
but after a couple of disappointments (before I married my Nurseryman!)
I wouldn't buy plugs mail order again. I'd go for bigger plants but
Iknow others here have found differently.

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com
Exotic plants, shrubs & perennials
South Devon