Old 02-06-2009, 04:17 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Billy[_7_] Billy[_7_] is offline

Default Beets and and radishes are darn hard to grow

In article , Charlie wrote:

On Mon, 01 Jun 2009 14:28:17 -0700, Billy
spuked forth:

In article ,
"Suzanne D." wrote:

For some reason, I CANNOT grow radishes or beets to save my life. I
always
thought radishes were an idiot's delight, growing fast and big for even
the
blackest thumb. But after two months, my radishes still weren't very big.
The beets never filled out either--they sprouted and then just sat there
for
months until I finally pulled them up and threw them away so I could grow
something else there. I gave them a lot of water, and the soil is very
loose, so I just don't get it.

I am not asking for advice, since I don't really like radishes or beets
anyway, but I thought it was funny how miserably they grow for me!
--S.

Soft soil, plenty of P & K, and no litter in the bed before plants come
up. Charlie was bragging on his French breakfast radishes last year, so
I tried them and they are growing fine. That enough variables for you?

And have they reached eatin' size yet?

Oh yeah. I started on them when they were the size of a dime and now
they are up to the size of a quarter.

I just finished the last ones in the fridge, along with a hardboiled
egg and a piece of toasted wholegrain with butter and a glass of iced
coffee......heaven.

Haven't had them for breakfast, mostly dinner salads.

Lettuce know what you think of them. Some of ours were quite large
without being woody, pithy, or hot. They are definitely our favorite
radishes.

No, they still got a crunch to them.

I neglected my succession planting routine and am now going to be
without for three weeks...grrrrr.

Don'cha just hate learnin' curves?

Charlie

“What do I know of man's destiny? I could tell you more about
radishes.” --- Samuel Beckett

Is he still waiting for Godot to bring the radishes?
--

- Billy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=En2TzBE0lp4