Old 02-06-2009, 04:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_4_] Sacha[_4_] is offline

Default Can you identify this plant, please? link correction

On 2009-06-02 13:16:37 +0100, "Charlie Pridham"
said:

"Charlie Pridham" wrote in message

"Eddy" wrote in message
Sacha wrote:
Eddy, try looking at Macleaya. It usually does flower but yours may be
in the wrong conditions for that.

Good Morning, Sacha. Maybe mine HAS flowered but it seems the flower is
so unremarkable that I have not been impressed enough to remember it!

Here's some info I've just found on it:

"Plume Poppy (Macleaya cordata)

R.H.S. 'AGM' Award Winner

This is a splendid, impressive and statuesque plant that can grow to 8
ft. or more, with large, glaucous, finely sculptured leaves and very
large panicles, consisting of hundreds of tiny buff-coloured flowers,
carried well above the foliage. A bold, eye-catching plant. Hardy
throughout the British Isles. 8-12 ft."

And it's selling at about Ł5 a plant on the internet! They do look
rather fetching when massed together. But I guess many ugly things do!
See:
http://www.chilternseeds.co.uk/chilt...a/pid/31511654

Regards,
Eddy.

Beware

its extremely invasive, but we love it see
www.roselandhouse.co.uk/pond/pond.htm

Sorry should have been jpg www.roselandhouse.co.uk/pond/pond.jpg

(the page shows the same pond but under construction)

--
Charlie, Gardening in Cornwall
and Lapageria rosea cvs

That looks lovely, Charlie - and the Macleaya definitely goods very
good near water. I think ours will have to be moved from the drive!
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com
Shrubs & perennials. Tender & exotics.
South Devon