Old 15-04-2003, 05:44 AM
MacTech

Default daylillies from root

We have some daylilies that my grandmother planted 70 years ago. They
have been dug up and replanted in a variety of places, and not much
seems to bother them. (My grandmother kept them alive during the Great
Depression by watering them with her dishwater.)

One spring my husband raked off one of the daylily beds and threw the
dried leaves on the bank across the road from the house, and the next
thing we knew, there were daylilies growing on the bank. This is a
steep rocky/sandstone bank that is in shade 99 percent of the time
from pine trees above it and oak trees across the road. Every year,
the daylilies on the bank bloom (or at least they try to; the township
usually comes along with the boom mower and chops them off before they
get a chance to actually flower; but the stalks and buds are there).

LeAnn

Share the view from Rural Route 2…
http://ruralroute2.com