Old 03-06-2009, 09:14 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Suzanne D.[_2_] Suzanne D.[_2_] is offline

Default Beets and and radishes are darn hard to grow

"Puckdropper" puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com wrote in message
Just curious, how much nitrogen is in your soil? Nitrogen is associated
with leafy green plants, but too much nitrogen keeps the plant growing
when it should be making fruit.

I'm not sure. The soil on the top layer is a commercial mix, but it doesn't
have fertilizers or anything in it. Previously, that bed was planted in
corn, and then I piled some dead leaves on it in the fall.

For what it's worth, I've tried growing radishes inside, in little plastic
flats, and they don't grow there either.
--S.