Old 03-06-2009, 05:14 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
basilisk basilisk is offline

Default No-show tomatoes

"Spcovelady" wrote in message
basilisk wrote:
Spcovelady wrote:

I have been lurking here for quite a while and have learned a lot, but
now I need some help.
I have three German Girl tomato plants that have lots of blooms but
never set tomatoes. I have another tomato plant that did not have a tag
when I bought it, but I have gotten several tomatoes from it already.
These are smallish (slightly larger than a lime) but very flavorful and
sweet.I planted this one about a month before the German Girls.My first
guess is that it has already gotten too hot to set fruit. I live on the
Alabama coast about 10 miles as the crow flies from the Gulf of Mexico.
Any ideas?
TIA

I also live in Alabama, a couple of hundred miles north of you,
I can't give you a definitive answer but I don't think heat is the
problem. I have raised tomatoes for many years and successfully set fruit
all through the summer. I have had large amounts of rain and I suspect
you
have also, I think your plants are probably in fertile ground with lots
of
moisture and they have up to now devoted their energy to foliage and may
start setting fruit any time, time will tell.

Are the german girl tomatoes potato leaf or regular leaf tomatoes?

basilisk

I looked at the tag on my plants again and they are "German Queen"
Heirloom not German girl. The leaves on these plants do look a bit
different than the ones on my other tomato plant. The plants are more
leggy and the leaves seem to be more spread out on the limbs. I have them
in 5 gallon buckets like my other plant.

It's possible they are not getting pollinated, bees don't like to work
in cloudy, rainy weather. Hopefully, you will start to see some fruit
set soon.

basilisk