Old 04-06-2009, 09:23 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Michael Bell Michael Bell is offline

Default Grafting alders

I am trying to graft current year growth alder to current year growth.
I am using the tongue and slit method:-
| |
| |
| |
| |
| /
| /\ /
| / \/
|/

(With apologies for the awful drawing, but I think you will see what I
mean)

But they're not "taking" very well. (Is "taking" the right word?)

The scions are very fresh, cut that morning, I kept them wrapped in
wet cloth.

They turn brown when I cut them, in the same way that cut apples turn
brown. Would it be worthwhile to wash them? What with?

I wrap the graft area with waterproof tape, I cut off all the scion's
leaves but leave the end bud, and I cover the whole with plastic
"lay-flat" tube.

What more can I do?

Michael Bell