Old 04-06-2009, 12:41 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Pat Brennan[_3_] Pat Brennan[_3_] is offline

Default Arrg--ice cubes--arrg

This year has been something, up and down the east coast Wal*Mart and Costco
has been selling phals (from Costa I think) that includes a care sheet
telling people to water by placing a couple of ice cubes on top of the mix
every week. I am so sick of ice cube questions. Here are some my standard
answers:

I do not think the plants I am selling would thrive on ice cubes, you need
to talk to the grower you bought the plant from.

Why would anyone tell you to put ice on the roots of a tropical plant?

Those instructions are to keep the plant alive while it is blooming. They
assume you will throw the plant away when it goes out of bloom.

Ice cubes? What a novel approach.

I am not real happy with any of these answers, anyone have some ideas?

Pat