Old 04-06-2009, 07:20 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
sueb sueb is offline

Default No-show tomatoes

On Jun 3, 3:11*pm, Bigal wrote:
The Cook;848953 Wrote:

On Tue, 02 Jun 2009 14:03:07 -0500, Spcovelady
wrote:
-
I have been lurking here for quite a while and have learned a lot, but

now I need some help.
I have three German Girl tomato plants that have lots of blooms but
never set tomatoes. I have another tomato plant that did not have a tag

when I bought it, but I have gotten several tomatoes from it already.
These are smallish (slightly larger than a lime) but very flavorful and

sweet.I planted this one about a month before the German Girls.My first

guess is that it has already gotten too hot to set fruit. I live on the

Alabama coast about 10 miles as the crow flies from the Gulf of
Mexico.
Any ideas?
TIA-

Tomatoes will not set fruit if the night temperature is lower than
55°F or the daytime temperature is over 95°F. *I have also found that
heirlooms tend produce fruit later than hybrids.

Don't worry about it. *Plants produce fruit when they are mature
enough.
--
Susan N.

Mist spray they with water. *Does the trick with mine.
Bigal

--
Bigal- Hide quoted text -

When I get frustrated with tomatoes not setting, I gently shake the
plants. Usually works.

But, as others have said, heirlooms sometimes set late, and
unfortunately, sometimes set lightly.

Susan B.