Old 04-06-2009, 08:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
wafflycat wafflycat is offline

Default Courgettes - eat raw? Pickled?

"David in Normandy" wrote in message
wafflycat wrote:

"David in Normandy" wrote in message
Can courgettes be eaten raw? The other day I had some that had been only
very lightly fried in a little bacon fat and they were still quite crisp
and tasted a little like sweet chestnuts. Prompted me to wonder if
anyone eats them raw? Can they be pickled raw in vinegar? Is that
essentially what pickled gherkins are?

Courgettes can most certianly be eaten raw. Can be delicious in a salad
(thinly sliced or grated)

Good. I'll try some grated with the next salad. Sounds like another way to
use courgettes. Is it best to use only the small courgettes raw (couple of
inches long) or doesn't it matter?

Later in the season they invariably grow faster than they can be eaten and
we end up with some huge marrows. Unfortunately (despite best efforts) the
marrows have always rotted over Winter. Anyone any tips for keeping them
successfully? Cool, dry place doesn't seem to be enough.

Here's what used to happen with the marrows in the childhood home of
Wafflycat.. marrow & ginger jam

Here's a link to a recipe
http://www.allotment.org.uk/recipe/1...nd-ginger-jam/