Old 04-06-2009, 09:30 PM
beccabunga beccabunga is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark740 View Post
Hi guys im new here and not yet an avid gardener, i am starting to attempt to sort my garden out, this is my problem.

I have various hedges either side of my garden, i also have this horrible other plant growing in them that seems to take over, i have tried cutting it back but it returns with avengence.

Here is is

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y2/...0/Image038.jpg
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y2/...0/Image040.jpg
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y2/...0/Image041.jpg

its got a woody stem and its really annoying me

cheers for any help or advice

Two possibilities:

[1] Eleagnus pungens [small suckering tree/shrub, with silver leaves and highly aromatic flowers now]

[2] Lonicera caerulea [goji berry/Duke of Argyll's teaplant/Wolfberry] has small starry pink flowers. Might produce edible red berries in autumn.

In both cases you will have to take the main stem right back to the ground and kill off with strong weedkiller. Alternatively, shape it to you taste and keep it.