Old 05-06-2009, 12:19 AM posted to rec.gardens
Bill who putters Bill who putters is offline

Default How do I repair broken branch on Oak tree?

In article ,
"brooklyn1" wrote:

wrote

I was just cutting down large pine tree in yard and it fell into my
beautiful Oak tree and broke branch....It is maybe 90% broke. can I put
splint of some kind? Any advise appreciated.

What size tree and what size branch? With a relatively young tree it will
likely put out a couple of new branches at that spot. With a large tree the
branch will probably be much too heavy so will be difficult to support until
it heals... regardless, if the tree is otherwise healthy why look for
trouble by making a place for disease to start... I'd carefully remove the
branch.

No matter what the damage one can always bolt,wrap, tape, tie etc
things together. The sooner the better think a broken human limb. May
not work but give it a shot anyway. Sort of like root layering a gift.

Bill

--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA

No foreign intervention unless tyranny at home.