Old 15-04-2003, 08:08 AM
swroot

Default What To Do With Dirty Weeds

Fenny k wrote:

[-]

In Northamptonshire, we have wheelie bins for garden waste & compost.
However, they recently sent us a note to say:

"Following the foot and mouth epidemic, legal changes have been made to
the Animal By-products Order. This restricts the types of waste that
can be composted in the open air. As a result, vegetable peelings,
fruit, salad, tea bags, stale bread and eggshells that would normally be
put in the brown bin along with garden waste and cardboard can no longer
be included."

I don;t understand how that list has anything to do with animal by-
products. We are told that we are allowed to continue to put them on
our own compost heaps, but if we throw them away, they go in the black
bin with all the non recyclable stuff.

The Order is quite specific. Anything that *might* have been in contact
with meat or meat products must not be left anywhere livestock (which
includes all wild animals such as rats and birds) can contact it. All
kitchen waste is classed as material that could have been in contact
with meat. I think they aren't prepared to try to stop us composting it
(although I lay odds they thought about it).

regards
sarah

--
"Great is truth, but still greater, from a practical point of view,
is silence about truth." Aldous Huxley