Old 05-06-2009, 05:23 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
D. Arlington[_2_] D. Arlington[_2_] is offline

Default Beets and and radishes are darn hard to grow

"Suzanne D." wrote in message
For some reason, I CANNOT grow radishes or beets to save my life. I
always thought radishes were an idiot's delight, growing fast and big for
even the blackest thumb. But after two months, my radishes still weren't
very big. The beets never filled out either--they sprouted and then just
sat there for months until I finally pulled them up and threw them away so
I could grow something else there. I gave them a lot of water, and the
soil is very loose, so I just don't get it.

I am not asking for advice, since I don't really like radishes or beets
anyway, but I thought it was funny how miserably they grow for me!
--S.

I can't help asking why you grow them if you don't like them and/or don't
eat them. I don't grow or eat radishes but do grow beets. They're one of
the easiest plants to grow in sunny fertile soil. This year most of my
garden is "behind" due to the constant rain and lack of sunny warm days.