Old 05-06-2009, 08:35 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
'Mike'[_4_] 'Mike'[_4_] is offline

Default Digging a fence panel post hole

--
..
"Muddymike" wrote in message
om...

"'Mike'" wrote in message
In my experience a small hole is only best in solid ground. In soft
sandy soils a bigger hole and more postcrete/concrete is more stable.

Mike

When I had my fence posts and fence panels delivered, the chap who
delivered then was an expert, it was his own business and had years of
experience. "You have very soft soil here, you need to make a big hole
and concrete them in" which I did.

The trouble was that they have nearly all rotted off by now at ground
level. The fence was put up about 20 years + ago and they started rotting
at out 10 years ago

Softwood posts?
I used oak at the last house, we lived there 20 years and when we left
there was no sign of any posts rotting. I even built a chicken run using
cheap reject (warped, bark edged, etc) oak posts at the same time. These
were never treated with anything and still stand straight (well as
straight as the warped ones could stand) with no sign of rotting off
today. My old fence has been replaced with some thing prettier, must ask
what the posts were like when they were taken out next time I visit.

Mike
(The muddy one)

:-((

Soft wood