Old 05-06-2009, 08:47 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
prb prb is offline

Default Digging a fence panel post hole

In article ,
says...
Hi
I need to install 7 fence posts, I want to do them AS FAST AS POSSIBLE!

They are 9 foot posts

As I understand it I should aim to do a narrow hole as possible. But I have
also read I should stick some hardcore down there to help hold it in place -
doesn't this mean I should dig the holes a bit wider than the post itself?
or they just mean smaller rubble?

If you fill the hole with rubble or bricks etc, all you are doing is
making a nice sump for water to sit in thereby rotting the post. Fill
the hole with concrete.