Old 05-06-2009, 01:40 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
June June is offline

Default Beets and and radishes are darn hard to grow

On Jun 1, 3:22*pm, "Suzanne D." wrote:
For some reason, I CANNOT grow radishes or beets to save my life. *I always
thought radishes were an idiot's delight, growing fast and big for even the
blackest thumb. *But after two months, my radishes still weren't very big.
The beets never filled out either--they sprouted and then just sat there for
months until I finally pulled them up and threw them away so I could grow
something else there. *I gave them a lot of water, and the soil is very
loose, so I just don't get it.

I am not asking for advice, since I don't really like radishes or beets
anyway, but I thought it was funny how miserably they grow for me!
--S.

Beets want calcium. For a quick fix, save your eggshells and grind
them in a blender with water and pour that in a small area and plant
your beets. It might put enough calcium in the soil quickly enough to
help.