Old 05-06-2009, 11:10 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Spider[_2_] Spider[_2_] is offline

Default Can someone help me identify this plant

"mark740" wrote in message

Hi guys im new here and not yet an avid gardener, i am starting to
attempt to sort my garden out, this is my problem.

I have various hedges either side of my garden, i also have this
horrible other plant growing in them that seems to take over, i have
tried cutting it back but it returns with avengence.

Here is is

[image: http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y2/.../Image038.jpg]
[image: http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y2/.../Image040.jpg]
[image: http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y2/.../Image041.jpg]

its got a woody stem and its really annoying me

cheers for any help or advice.

--
mark740

I wondered about Eleagnus 'Quicksilver' argentea, but only the newest stem
growths are silvery; older wood is black.

My other idea was Buddleia alternifolia. If it were, I suspect you'd be
seeing flowers or their buds sometime soon. Certainly, a photo of the
flowers would be a great aid to identification

Looking at your pics, and the way the plant grows through the hedge, it
makes me think that, perhaps, the plant is actually in your neighbours
garden. If this is the case, it may be worth asking 'them next door' what
their plant is and, also if they could agree to control it in some way.
They may not know what it is, but they *may* dislike it as much as you do.
Were that the case, you may be able to plot a two-pronged attack. Certainly
at the moment, you're getting nowhere. In fact, your pruning is encouraging
lots of new growth :~(.

Spider