Old 05-06-2009, 06:06 PM posted to rec.gardens
Paul M. Cook Paul M. Cook is offline

Default Number of cucs in a pot

"Boron Elgar" wrote in message
On Thu, 4 Jun 2009 23:53:14 -0700, "Paul M. Cook"
wrote:

"Billy" wrote in message
In article ,
"Paul M. Cook" wrote:

About how many cucumber plants can I grow in a 21 inch pot that is
abour
18
inches tall? I ran across some interesting seeds, Hmong Red and Gold
Lemon.
I thought they'd be cool to try - something different.

Vegetative growth is proportional to root growth. The less room for the
roots, the smaller the plant above ground.

So one? Two?

Paul

You can put 2-3 in one hill in a container that size.

The lemons are quite tasty. I have not tried the Hmong.

I grow all my cukes in containers or tubs. Although my tubs are larger
than you mention, I generally have 2-3 hills in each and have prolific
production. I mix varieties within tubs, but not within hills.

And I start them from seed right in the ground soil.

Cukes are quite easy to grow and rarely disappoint.

Good, I was hoping to strike a balance between quantity and quality. I was
hoping for a lot of cucs this season. But I don't want to get a whole mess
of tiny fruits I can't eat. So I'll just do 2 in each pot and hope for the
best. So I'll start at least 4 seeds in each pot and pick the best 2,
right?

Paul