Old 05-06-2009, 06:52 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens
mj mj is offline

Default Melons

On Jun 5, 11:14*am, "SteveB" wrote:
I live on a sand dune. *That is, what ain't lava boulders. *Nice southern
Utah sandstone sand. *I want to plant some melons by some of the tree rings
where they seep out. *Lots of regular water, but little nutrients.

Question: *Where I plant, should I till out a cavity and put in peat moss
and other bagged amendments? *Locals here say melons grow fine on sand, but
I'd guess you'd have to at least add some fertilizer.

Help appreciated.

Steve

I have a sand beach in my back your and I burried some large black
pots filled with potting soil. The plants are doing great with lots of
room to spread out.

MJ