Old 15-04-2003, 09:20 AM
Paul Kelly

Default Cutting Leylandi

"Essjay001" wrote in message
Paul Kelly scribbled:

Nowt wrong with appropriate trees for the spot available!

Unfortunately it appears to have to be your version of appropriate
though

If I were a lone voice on this, I'd defer. But I'm not and this was
yet another instance of inappropriate planting of leylandii that has
given the current owner a real problem.

I woud have thought that a 15 ft high Leylandii barrier between a house

and
a pub was "appropriate". Charlie may find she regrets the decision later.

There are other things which provide far more decorative and less
problematic screening and which do not need access with power trimmers at 15
ft height just to keep them in control.

As I type, I'm looking out at an Azara dentata 15/18feet tall, Evergreen,
medium dense screen at height without dominating either garden, just about
to burst into magnificent and fragrant bloom. A line of those would do a
better job than Leylandii. and get to the 15 ft height in about the same
time. Better still an alternate line of A.serrata and A.dentata would give
and extended flowering season well into summer

pk