Old 15-04-2003, 09:44 AM
adavisus

Default water plants soil smell bad

Francisco wrote in message ...
I have a little pond with two water plants, and the soil in the pots smells
very bad; I can smell the same if I get close to the water.
Is this normal?, can I put the plants in sand or something else to avoid the
smell?

Its normal if you have way too much decomposing at the same time, you
probably need to dredge the little pond of the bulk of the organic
matter that is going off. Plants and leaves from last Winter need
clearing out when they build up, you might want to take more care not
to let any fish food go to waste, adding to the problem

Dredging the pond of anything black and silty, followed by a series of
partial top ups will reduce the effects of the toxic conditions that
are building up on a pond which has not been maintained. Taking a
couple of buckets out at a time and you have a very rich mud for
improving garden soil positions elsewhere.

On a healthy pond when you lift plants, all you should be able to
notice is a slightly seaside, marine scent among the roots of the
plants...

Regards, Andy
http://www.members.aol.com/abdavisnc/swglist.html
(andys aquatic plant list for interesting swaps