Old 06-06-2009, 09:16 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
aquachimp aquachimp is offline

Default Digging a fence panel post hole

On Jun 4, 11:16*pm, "mo" wrote:
Hi
I need to install 7 fence posts, I want to do them AS FAST AS POSSIBLE!

They are 9 foot posts

As I understand it I should aim to do a narrow hole as possible. But I have
also read I should stick some hardcore down there to help hold it in place -
doesn't this mean I should dig the holes a bit wider than the post itself?
or they just mean smaller rubble?

You don't say why they are 9' posts. I mean, presumably you want them
to end up been X' above ground. As has been suggested, your posts will
need to be 2' deep... at the very least. (90cm pref) so I hope that
fits in with your end height plans.

Anyhow, which tool will do it for me the quickest?

http://www.hss.com/g/62720/Post-Hole-Borer-Manual.html

I'm familiar with this one; Not so hard to use; more user friendly
when it comes to that kick they give when suddenly jammed on
something, eg a root. It'll soften the ground to make it easy to dig
out. Alas, depth is only around 75 cm if memory serves. If your using
round pointy posts and the ground is soft, you could try using that
bore, plonk the stake in and try to hammer down to the right depth,
but easier said than done.

Looks a bit small.....?

http://www.hss.com/g/50631/Shovel-Holer.html

I never used one, so I'm wondering if they"re really only good for
emptying out the already softened earth?

Any good?

I also saw a digging shovel available elsewhe

http://www.triadsupply.com/products/...392_shovel.jpg

I just call that a shovel. that said, I like mine to look like they
wont snap within the first half hour (-;
perhaps a long handled spade would be more appropriate;

If you go for the digging out the hole option, do so, so that you end
up with a hole that is wider at the bottom; Think of an elephant's
foot. This gives the post a foot.

As for the rubble, that's really for something else. Use bits of
rubble to stabilize the post... if there's no one else around to hold
it for you whilst you go off checking on other measurements.

Thanks!