Old 06-06-2009, 03:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Dave Hill Dave Hill is offline
Registered User

Location: South Wales
Default Gardeners World should be pulled

On 2009-06-06 11:57:18 +0100, David in Normandy
said:

michael wrote:
I cant avoid watching Gardeners World,since it seems part of our
Friday evening ritual.However,last night the programme was
awful.Making raised beds using a curved design,and requiring
individual timber pieces was just ridiculous.Also the silly 30 min
tasks got sillier this week with trying to make roof gardens over
sheds and guinea pig hutchs.In the spice bed plants were thrown in at
random,with few described.The only interesting thing was the sowing of
green seed for the propagating of primroses,but since primroses seed
themselves naturally,even this was hardly worth it.
The content now is awful,and I am afraid to say that I think the
series should be pulled.
Michael

The wife and me used to be avid viewers of the program when we lived
in England and have seen all presenters from Percy Thrower to Monty
Don. (Favourite was Geoff Hamilton). On our last visit to England in
April we saw the new series and were extremely disappointed with the
new presenters and the quality of the program. The program seems to
have lost its "heart" somehow and seemed little better than those
crappy make-over programmes with a sort of hippy twist.

It's fallen into the celeb trap of too many talking heads doing 'zany'
things and not enough hands doing some practical work.

My main complaint is that it unrealistic, they solve problems by
throwing money at it. Most of us gardeners have to manage on as little
as possible. Goodness knows how much it costs them to make the beds they
are so proud of.

--
Please reply to group,emails to designated
address are never read.- Hide quoted text -

The repeat of Police interceptors on C5 was a beter choice, .
I know that if you can add a bit of manure to the garden it helps
things along, but I dont want to get it via the TV.
I am afraid that the BBC's "experts" are geting to be a very poor lot.
Did anyone notice during Chelsea an "Expert" talking about Sambucus,
looking at a black leaf varietu Poss "Black Lace".
said
"This fine sambucus has really darlk leaves and pink flowers you can
use just like an elderberry....."
Oh Dear!
I'm afraid I find myself wincing a few times a week at the "Experts"
knowledge.
David Hill