Old 15-04-2003, 10:56 AM
jane

Default Newbie - advice please on whether to buy huge garden!

On Tue, 15 Apr 2003 09:32:28 +0100, Sacha
wrote:

~in article , Ednews at
wrote on 15/4/03 8:30 am:
~
~snip
~ Daft question, but what's honey fungus? Should I do anything in particular
~ to avoid it?
~
~First of all, nothing is a daft question when you're learning a new subject
~or if you don't know the answer in an old one!
~Honey fungus tends mainly to attack old and rotting wood but it spreads
~itself around fairly generously and attacks other, healthier things too,
~eventually. The fruiting bodies smell of honey, hence the name.
~Because it likes rotting wood, some people prefer to use something called
~Root Out when they cut trees down. A hole is bored in the remaining trunk,
~filled with root out and covered with a bit of old tile or stone to keep
~rain off. Eventually, the tree trunk will disappear but it does take time.
~When I found honey fungus in a garden of mine, we felled everything diseased
~and ground the stumps right down to nothing.
~There was a product, the name of which I now forget, which you could spray
~onto affected wood or pour into a shallow trench at its foot. I have a
~feeling it's no longer made but if it is, someone here will remember the
~name.

Armillatox. Buy fast, cos you won't find it after July...
http://www.armillatox.co.uk/

~None of this should put you off your garden or felling the leylandii, if you
~think that's a good idea, BTW!
~--
~Sacha
~www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
~

--
jane

Mark Twain

Please remove nospam from replies, thanks!