Old 15-04-2003, 11:08 AM
Rosa Rosam

Default Favourite Rose Books?

if you are lucky enough to read some french :
- "La rose de France" by Francois Joyaux.
It's all about Gallicas. Very interesting text, beautifull pics. An attempt
to have all the known (and unknown) gallicas.
Much better than S. Verrier's book.
- "La Rose, une passion francaise" by Francois Joyaux. History of the rose
in France, without being one-eyed and self centered on France. Must have if
you are passionated by OGR. I think that book will be translated in english
soon.

now in English :
- "The Charm of old roses" by Nancy Steen (1966)
- Roger Mann's "Roses"
- " The makers of heavenly roses" by Jack Harness, if you are interesting in
the history of some breeders.
- "Gardening with Old Roses" by A. Sinclair and Rosemary Thodley. It's for
New Zealand, but very interesting in a more general point of view.

Jocelen
www.rosarosam.com

"Jane Lumley" wrote in message
Keen to increase my already oversized library of books about my
favourite plants, I wondered if the erudite, brilliant members of this
group had any recommendations? What is your favourite book - for any
reason - pictures, practicalities, dreaming? I would cite the
following:

Graham Stuart Thomas, the triple-decker classic
Peter Beales, Classic Roses (though actually it's mostly in this
excellent catalogue, and the same goes for David Austin's stuff)
Vita Sackville-west, In Your Garden
and a marvellous Jane Fearnley-Whittingstall book which is a history of
the rose garden.

I also like Yates's Roses (about growing in Oz, so not relevant, but
fun) and The Search For Lost Roses.
--
Jane Lumley