Old 06-06-2009, 08:30 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens
George Parton George Parton is offline

Default Hong Kong Orchid

Bob Hobden wrote:
"George Parton" wrote ...

This picture from one of our Hong Kong Orchid trees was taken in March.
They dropped all their blooms, went blah for a time and now are
budding out again. (I don't think they are supposed to bloom in summer)

Bauhinia blakeana is a beautiful small tree and I notice it is supposed to
grow in US Zones that get some frost. Never seen it in this country despite
our mild maritime climate so I imagine it's the cold coupled with our wet
winters that it cannot cope with, rather like Albizia julibrissin.

Bob, you are correct. We do get some frost but I am surprised by the
new blooms because we live in Arizona where the summers do not seem much
like spring! However we are currently experiencing much lower than
normal temperatures.
(Please don't tell Al Gore) : )

Thanks for your comments.
George