Old 07-06-2009, 12:12 PM posted to rec.gardens
Pat Kiewicz[_2_] Pat Kiewicz[_2_] is offline

Default need help identifying bugs on burning bush plants

YvonneD said:

We have many large burning bush plants. I noticed that most of the
the new leaves are deformed. On closer inspection I saw some insects
on the leaves. One is black and orange and about 1/2" long. See
photo he

http://home.comcast.net/~jbcamel/eba...korangebug.jpg

The other is mostly orange and looks like a beetle and is the same
size as a lady bug:

http://home.comcast.net/~jbcamel/ebay/beetlebug.jpg

They look like a lady bug larva and pupa. The distorted foliage was
probably caused by colonies of aphids, which is what attracted the
lady bugs to your bush.

There have been a lot of them around my yard this spring.

In addition to the bugs there are lots of little white spots on the
leaves. They look like aphids but they could also be eggs.

Could they be the husks of aphids done in by the lady bug larvae?

--
Pat in Plymouth MI

"So, it was all a dream."
"No dear, this is the dream, you're still in the cell."

email valid but not regularly monitored