Old 07-06-2009, 09:59 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Dear Gardeners

On 2009-06-06 20:45:37 +0100, Judith in France
said:
snip

We have some of the visiting guests staying here tonight. *We will
have to have Lottie sleep in our room as some leave at 5a.m. and
Lottie is still nervous of strangers in the house.

Judith

A good thing, IMO. *Our Oscar Underfoot, the wire haired dachshund, *
goes off with monotonous regularity at the milk/paper man, Nursery
staff coming into the house, anyone knocking at the front door and the
postman. *Some of these people are in and out of here every day but we
still get the 'woofs' and in fact, we rely upon him to tell us that the
papers have been delivered each morning! *On Saturday, the papers are
rather later than normal but today he was barking at 07.30 and when Ray
went downstairs, sure enough, the papers and milk were there. * He's a
very good guard dog and that's a good thing, IMO.
Sachawww.hillhousenursery.com
Shrubs & perennials. Tender & exotics.
South Devon

Yes, our Lottie is a great Sentinel; she hears things before we do.
It's quite clear that she has a protective side, she is unhappy when
guests put their arms around me, in the French way, to give a slight
kiss on both cheeks; her tails drops and she moves in very close to
me. Last night I walked her about 11.30p.m. to shut up the hens and a
5 minute walk without a lead, she took off with such speed, she was
chasing a rabbit! After 2 commands she came back, looking sheepish
because she had ignored my first command. She snored all night long,
what with Edward snoring on one side and Lottie on my left, on the
floor in her bed; I felt very hemmed in! To keep slightly on topic,
she is digging down to Australia, I have never seen such huge holes in
the garden, any hints on anything to deter her?

Judith