Old 15-04-2003, 12:32 PM
SugarChile

Default tall iris?

German irises are bearded. Siberians are not, but they are commonly in
purple shades, and not as tall. Your description reminds me of "Dutch"
irises. They grow from a bulb, not a rhizome. Here they bloom after the
spring bulbs and just before the bearded iris, but the timing could be
different in California.

I used to grow them, and especially admired the white/yellow ones, but in
this climate the foliage usually emerges 6 inches or so in the fall, the
gets brown and tattered over the winter. I either had to fussily trim the
foliage in the spring, or pretend to ignore it as it spoiled the look of the
blooming plant. I finally removed them.

HTH,
Sue

Zone 6, Southcentral PA

wrote in message
I have some irises that were growing in my place when I moved in. They
were sort of scattered and neglected. I still see them in places
around the neighborhood, but usually neglected.

They are about 4 feet tall. Not bearded. White with yellow. Very
elegant looking, especially as tall slender cut flowers on their 3'
stems.

Each stem usually puts out 3 flowers or so.

After flowering the leaves tend to flop over and get a bit messy,
which is why they get neglected in corners of peoples' yards, but I've
moved them into clumps and, amazingly, I get nothing but complements
from the neighbors. I tell them it's a neighborhood weed if they just
look around and they are astonished to find I'm right.

So, anyone know what they could be? I don't know what a german or
siberian iris is, but that's what I can find that looks like them.

They are flowering now, in California, with the late bearded irises
and the first of my roses. Well after any bulbs.

Anyone?

gg