Old 07-06-2009, 06:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Pam Moore[_2_] Pam Moore[_2_] is offline

Default Tomatoes on the vine

On Fri, 5 Jun 2009 17:13:51 +0100, K wrote:

Pam Moore writes

All the tomatoes I've seen growing ripen in sequence down the stem.
Vine tomatoes in the supermarkets are usually all equally ripe.
How do they acheive that?

The ones I buy are not - the ones at the tip are less ripe, either not
quite red, or, if they are red, the ones at the base are softer.

I bought some in the supermarket last week; 6 on a vine, all aqually
red, seemingly equally ripe. Short of eating one from each end, I
could tell no difference.

Pam in Bristol