Old 08-06-2009, 05:13 AM posted to rec.gardens
[email protected] mumingxiao@gmail.com is offline

Default can you identify this blooming shrub

On 6月8日, 午前2:57, doctoroe wrote:
I planted seeds a few years ago and the shrubs are just blooming for
the first time this year.
Anyone know what they might be? The plants are about 6 feet tall.
The leaves are oval shiny and green. Flowers are rather fragile
looking white and yellow:
photo:http://ih.fotothing.com/90270.jpg

It is surely a 'gardenia' (Gardenia jasminoides:
http://www.mitomori.co.jp/hana3/hana2.7.315kutina.html).
we can see two types of this flower in japan: one that have flowers of
double petals and the other that have flowers of single petals. Both
have the same frangrance but this latter one has a distinct nature of
bearing fruits in Winter. It is so common that we use this fruits as a
coloring to make japanese cuisine: 'kuri-kinton' (sweet chestnuts).