Old 08-06-2009, 12:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Digging a fence panel post hole

In article ,
says...
Hi
I need to install 7 fence posts, I want to do them AS FAST AS POSSIBLE!

They are 9 foot posts

As I understand it I should aim to do a narrow hole as possible. But I have
also read I should stick some hardcore down there to help hold it in place -
doesn't this mean I should dig the holes a bit wider than the post itself?
or they just mean smaller rubble?

Anyhow, which tool will do it for me the quickest?

http://www.hss.com/g/62720/Post-Hole-Borer-Manual.html

Looks a bit small.....?

http://www.hss.com/g/50631/Shovel-Holer.html

Any good?

I also saw a digging shovel available elsewhe

http://www.triadsupply.com/products/...392_shovel.jpg

Thanks!

What ever you use to dig the hole do not concrete in the posts, they will
rot off at the top of the concrete in no time, a tanalised post with hard
core rammed down the sides will last far longer
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk