Old 08-06-2009, 12:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Can anyone id this Hebe problem?

In article , lid
says...

"Emrys Davies" wrote in message
"Spider" wrote in message
Hi everyone,

Help! I'm desperate. My favourite Hebe has been afflicted by a
disease?/pest?/fungal problem? which has all but decimated it. It

appears
on all young(er) shoots. There is some distortion, some (mostly)

parallel
tunnelling, and some whitish powdery deposits. The deposits don't

show up
too well, but you can see the tunnelling clearly.

Early signs of the tunnelling do not show up on photographs, but

appear as
elongated areas of leaf surface separation, rather like blistering,

yet the
two surfaces are green and appear healthy. It is very subtle at this

stage.
However, the new shoot tip looks generally sickly. Some shoots,

however,
have produced tight green flower spikes, although some of these appear

dry
and brown (eventually black); some fall off while others remain in the
plant. Similarly, some dead (brown) leaves fall while other cling on.

The brown parallel tunnelling you see in the pics is, I believe, the

same
'blistered' area as above, but it seems older, dryer and sometimes
distorted. In one sample I saw (not pictured), was a possible

entry/exit
hole. However, this break in the tunnel may have been caused by

mechanical
damage to the brittle leaf.

Older and different samples show the tunnels and other areas of damage
blackened.

http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/Spider...09972487607730

http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/Spider...10684343508322

http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/Spider...10701671843986

This hebe has had a history of black spot, but had previously coped

well

Sadly I have this and have had to stop growing Hebes, I think its a form
of downy mildew but then again it may be viral but what ever it is
it is nearly always fatal after time, as the weakened plants don't go
through cold winters
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk