Old 08-06-2009, 02:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Spider[_2_] Spider[_2_] is offline

Default Compost to go further? What brand?

"Evelyn Usher" wrote in message

Hi all,

I am new here and I was wondering what I could use to make my compost
go further when putting my bedding plants in deep containers?

Also is Lidl's compost good enough for bedding plants?

--
Evelyn

www.ushad.co.uk
My aim in life is to be as good as my dogs think I am.

Hi Evelyn,

For really deep containers, especially for shallow-rooted plants, you can
fill the bottom third/half of the container with broken polystyrene chunks,
crocks and rubble, or even a smaller upturned plantpot. These will save on
soil and help with drainage. However, depending on plant requirements, you
may create a water retention problem. You could overcome this by using
water-retaining crystals, but these aren't cheap, so you'll need to balance
costs and plant culture carefully.

Another consideration, for taller plants, is keeping the pot stable in windy
weather. Use a heavier void-filler in this instance, so there is some
weight in the bottom of the pot. If any of your plants are ericaceous
(lime-haters), avoid using concrete or mortar rubble which will have a lime
content.

I am unable to comment on Lidl's compost as I've never used it. However,
for genuine short-term bedding, providing you're willing to feed after the
first 4-6 weeks, it will probably suffice. If they sell a specific
'container recipe' compost (read the label - these can contain long-term
feed and/or water-retaining crystals), then this is what you need.

Hope this helps.
Spider