Old 09-06-2009, 09:49 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
FarmI FarmI is offline

Default Horticultural Myths, Dr. L. Chalker-Scott

"gunner" wrote in message
"gunner" wrote in message

If anyone has info from their area/or their AG Institutes I would
appreciate a link to bookmark.

What sort of links are you after? Presumably edible, but do you have
climate preferences or edible preference or......

Zone 8a WA State, between Sound Puget sound area and the foothills of Mt.
Rainier. lots of good water, little sun, tall trees, offsite imported
soils,
9x12 Green house and several beds, raised and yes, creosote and green
lumbers. No detectable arsenic leeching!

Have you moved? Did you used to post as Gunner A....? If you are, then
last time I read you regularly (in an ng where Offbr.... posts regularly, I
was then posting as Fran H....) I thought you used to live in California in
a pretty dry place???

Lots of containers to move around and manage. Pretty fair hand at
cooking. Looking at more exotics to cook up. Presently have over 50-60
going. Want to double that collection by next year. Controlled
Environment Agriculture and Hydroponics/Aquaponics are great interests,
as well as ancient methods, especially the Amerindian and MesoAmerica,
Asian and Persian. Ancient Shaman and herbal healing medicine lore, so
the Desert SW is also a logical interest. Plant propagation/seed
collection is another interest that I am just startin, . having problems
with galangal taking root right now.

I know that ginger is often treated with an antisprouting agent and as
galangal is part of the same family then perhaps yours could have been
treated too.

Lemon
grass... got all 12 stick to root. Lemon trees are growing well, can't
find a Kariff lime tree up here. My have to order some stock as well as
the Seville Orange. Peppers are another great interest, want to collect
& grow more varieties of these, yet these are tough to do up here.

Oh yea...Sagan's Fine Art of Boloney Detection is sage advice I like to
follow. I follow Dr. Lynette Morgan of Growing Edge Mag, Dr. Linda
Chalker-Scott is pretty good read. Also, follow the Aztlan on
http://www.famsi.org/listinfo.html,

Some very interesting stuff on that cite. Lots of plants I've never even
heard of and probably couldnt' grow or even get my hands on. thanks - lots
of meat to read up on.

plus some cooking blogs. Damn good
Photog, if I may say, cut my teeth long before Digital came along.

I find this site useful as you can search using ingredients which you have
on hand and as I'm the sort of cook who cooks from the basic ingredients, it
works well for me.
http://www.taste.com.au/

As I said, looking for some sage writers from some of the State's Ag
colleges, good mag writers, perhpas some of the State's Master Gardener
mags/periodicals.

You, what do you like?

Lord, that's a question and a half!

If you are who I think you are, I have some similar interests to you. I
have a particular interest in social history so that leads me to want to
know about how people survived and often thrived in an age when there was
far less technology than we have access to today and which in these days of
peak oil etc may yet come round again.

I have an interest in all the domestic arts (except dusting and vacuuming
which TMWOT thinking are just drudgery) so that means sewing (hand and
machine) spinning (both wheel and spindle), weaving, knitting, cooking and
preserving, gardening for food for humans and animals, gardening for
medicine's of a folk origin, gardening for physic health (flowers), domestic
animal keeping (which in reality at this stage just means chooks (and the
farm's beef cattle) but I am seriously tempted to add both ducks and rabbits
[for both fibre and food]. I even have a spot picked out for the duck pen
but as I started building a fruit cage and needed help from Himself, I
haven't yet broached the subject of the duck pen.

I tend to grow organically as I find in my situation (rural Australia - hot
in summer, frosty in winter, increasingly dry due to changes in weather
patterns) it works for me as it suits me 'social history' interest and it
also uses raw materials that are readily available from our farm,
neighbour's farms or from our fires, compost heaps, chooks, cows etc.

I am also a seed saver but a bit sloppy about it and grow only open
pollinated heritage varieties of the more basic crops such as tomatoes. I'm
not so fussy for things like rockmelons (cantaloups) and water melons, but
they are neither a basic crop nor even one that can reach maturity easily in
my climate anyway.

I also grow fruit and am interested in grafting and found this to be easy to
do and not at all a mystery.

Anyway, here are some sites which may or may not interest you. Some of them
are Australian sites but I find that I learn a lot from sites that are
'foreign' because they make me see things in a different light and to think
about other options.
http://www.pfaf.org/index.php
http://www.thelostseed.com.au/index.htm
http://www.4seasonsseeds.com.au/epag...4seasons_seeds