Old 09-06-2009, 02:17 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Boron Elgar[_2_] Boron Elgar[_2_] is offline

Default Horticultural Myths, Dr. L. Chalker-Scott

On Mon, 8 Jun 2009 23:43:06 -0700, "gunner"
wrote:

, . having problems with galangal taking root right now.

Let it just sit in the pot and be patient. It can take much longer to
produce shoots than ginger, in my experience. In fact I just went
through the same things with two large chunks of galangal that I
picked up at a Thai grocery. The market had them wrapped in plastic
and refrigerated.

I just kept the pot in indirect light with regular watering. It took
at least 2 months for shoots to appear. In fact, I was about to dig
it up and toss it when I saw the eyes developing and re-buried it.

Turmeric can take a long, long time, too, even longer than galangal.

Boron