Old 15-04-2003, 02:08 PM
Pam

Default groundcover for rose bed?

Jean, the inclination is for most folks to combine roses with lavenders - they
seem to be a natural combination. However, the cultural conditions that roses
like (ample water, fertile soil and regular fertilization) are exactly what
lavender doesn't want. My roses are mixed in with scores of other plants, but if
I were to single them out, I'd underplant with hardy geraniums. They will love
the same conditions, are exceedingly easy to grow and flower in complimentary
colors and over an extended season. There are dozens of varieties. Check out the
"full sun groundcover" thread from Monday - I listed a bunch that will work
great and keep to a manageable height to show off the roses.

Disclaimer: - have no personal interest in pushing hardy geraniums :-)) They
just seem to fit the bill very well for both situations where I suggested them.

pam - gardengal

"Jean S. Barto" wrote:

Hello folks--

Just wanted to ask about a good and easy care groundcover for my new rose
bed--there are 10 different roses there--all are short varieties--border and
*groundcover* types--and they are planted in the front section of my front
yard, which is sunny all day. Although it's been wet this Spring, it tends
to get dry here in July and August, and so whatever goes there will need to
tolerate some dryness and heat--although I *will* be pampering my roses, no
matter the water restrictions!

The bed just seems so bare now--just the roses (which have started to sprout
little shoots the last few days) and the mulch--I think some nice short
groundcover plants would really make it look nice!

I will probably order whatever you suggest from Bluestone Perennials--my
first order from them came last week, and I'm very pleased with what they
sent--and so I'll order from them again. I go through serious *brain
fog/sensory overload* when going to a place like Lowe's (even for plants,
etc), and so I prefer to make most of my gardening purchases through the
internet.

Thanks in advance,

Jean in VA

--
"If you are going through hell, keep going."

Winston Churchill