Old 15-04-2003, 02:20 PM
Pam

Default Compost vs bark nuggets

NewsUser wrote:

Which is best to use for bedding to keep weed growth down... compost or bark
nuggets? Last year I put down aged hemlock. It broke down pretty quickly and
I'm been doing more weeding now than I want. Would bark nuggets be better?
Maybe I should go with unaged hemlock instead? Or just forget the bark and
go with a thick layer of compost? I'm adding quite a few new beds and am
looking at three units of material, at least.

karen
Portland, OR

Depends on what kind of plantings you are dealing with, as any type of mulch
will help to supress weed growth if applied deeply and regularly. Bark nuggets
are too coarse and large for perennial beds but will work fine in areas with
mostly shrubs and trees. I prefer to use compost - at least 3 inches thick. It
has a rich, dark appearance, adds to soil fertility and is great at retaining
moisture during our dry season. What weeds do sprout in it are very easily
removed because of its loose texture. I typically spread 12 yards of compost on
my planting areas twice a year for just this purpose.

pam - gardengal