Old 09-06-2009, 04:33 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
gunner gunner is offline

Default Horticultural Myths, Dr. L. Chalker-Scott

"Billy" wrote in message
In article ss,
"gunner" wrote:

Thanks Gunner, this is a very informative site.
--

Your welcome, Billy. I read most all your links, some very good ones there.
I like to share info also and challenge my beleifs. Sometimes it is good
to recognize we tend to cherry pick our infomation according to our beleifs
and to challenge those very beleifs forces one to view the world thru a
different prisim. I try not to see the world as black and white, but rather
more greyscale. It that amatuer anthropologist in me. I sometimes think
Americans tend to do everything to excess; eat, drink....... even
proselytize. I mentioned to FARMI that I am a fan of Carl Sagan's The fine
art of Boloney Detection, which many dismiss just becasue he had atheist
views, completely missing his categories of stripping away the petty
BS/myths that we tend to use in debate/argument. " Tools for skeptical
thinking. ...What skeptical thinking boils down to is the means to
construct, and to understand, a reasoned argument and -- especially
important -- to recognize a fallacious or fraudulent argument. The question
is not whether we like the conclusion that emerges out of a train of
reasoning, but whether the conclusion follows from the premise or starting
point and whether that premise is true."

here is the wiki version of his points:
http://rationalwiki.com/wiki/The_Fin...oney_Detection or
http://tinyurl.com/kwdbxm

when you get the chance you might preview another of Dr. Chalker-Scott's:
http://www.puyallup.wsu.edu/~Linda%2...dments%204.pdf
or http://tinyurl.com/loc252

she and many others have stated ; "Organic matter is fertilizer and is
composed of the same elements that make up commercial fertilizers. If
it is applied in excess, it will cause pollution problems just as surely as
those commercial fertilizers do." Lots of eco-examples on both sides of
that issue. perhaps it is an issue of over application. I find the more
pure the substance, the more likely it can be misapplied/misapplied.

BTW, 100lbs of 10-10-10 will yield 10 lbs of N, ~4.4 lbs of P and ~8.3 lbs
of K.
P and K are not elemental in fert labeling, you need to use the atomic
weights.