Old 09-06-2009, 06:24 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Billy[_7_] Billy[_7_] is offline

Default Horticultural Myths, Dr. L. Chalker-Scott

In article ss,
"gunner" wrote:

"Billy" wrote in message
In article ss,
"gunner" wrote:

Thanks Gunner, this is a very informative site.
--

Your welcome, Billy. I read most all your links, some very good ones there.
I like to share info also and challenge my beleifs. Sometimes it is good
to recognize we tend to cherry pick our infomation according to our beleifs
and to challenge those very beleifs forces one to view the world thru a
different prisim. I try not to see the world as black and white, but rather
more greyscale. It that amatuer anthropologist in me. I sometimes think
Americans tend to do everything to excess; eat, drink....... even
proselytize. I mentioned to FARMI that I am a fan of Carl Sagan's The fine
art of Boloney Detection, which many dismiss just becasue he had atheist
views, completely missing his categories of stripping away the petty
BS/myths that we tend to use in debate/argument. " Tools for skeptical
thinking. ...What skeptical thinking boils down to is the means to
construct, and to understand, a reasoned argument and -- especially
important -- to recognize a fallacious or fraudulent argument. The question
is not whether we like the conclusion that emerges out of a train of
reasoning, but whether the conclusion follows from the premise or starting
point and whether that premise is true."

here is the wiki version of his points:
http://rationalwiki.com/wiki/The_Fin...oney_Detection or
http://tinyurl.com/kwdbxm

Uh, when miracles come in, science goes out the window. As the Tom Hanks
character said in that horrible movie, Angels and Demons,"I don't have
the gift of faith".

when you get the chance you might preview another of Dr. Chalker-Scott's:
http://www.puyallup.wsu.edu/~Linda%2...%20Myths_files
/Myths/Amendments%204.pdf
or http://tinyurl.com/loc252

she and many others have stated ; "Organic matter is fertilizer and is
composed of the same elements that make up commercial fertilizers. If
it is applied in excess, it will cause pollution problems just as surely as
those commercial fertilizers do." Lots of eco-examples on both sides of
that issue. perhaps it is an issue of over application. I find the more
pure the substance, the more likely it can be misapplied/misapplied.

I don't think anyone here has ever recommended 23% organic matter. The
range (IIRC) has been 5% to 10% but it is an important note that
degraded OM can pollute in the same way as chemferts.
BTW, 100lbs of 10-10-10 will yield 10 lbs of N, ~4.4 lbs of P and ~8.3 lbs
of K.
P and K are not elemental in fert labeling, you need to use the atomic
weights.

Considering the atmosphere is about 78% N2, and elemental phosphorus and
potassium can be exciting stuff, I wasn't trying to be analytical here.
As I'm sure you are aware that agricultural nitrogen comes in the salt
forms of NH3 and NO3 but the percentage on the container is only for the
elemental nitrogen, not that of the compound, but strangely enough the
next two numbers are for the compounds and not the elements. To follow
along you must know that the atomic weight (at.wt.) of phosphorus is
approximately 31, and oxygen is 16. Phosphorus comes as P2O5 ([31 X
2]+[16 X 5]= at. wt. 142 for the compound, but the percentage of
phosphorus is P/P2O5 = 62/142 =.44) and the actual percentage of
elemental phosphorus is 44% of the percentage listed. Potassium comes as
K2O and the percentage of elemental potassium is 83% of the percentage
listed, or K = 39 (atomic weight) and O = 16, so K2O = 94, and %K =
K/K2O = 78/94 = .83 --- 83%.

Bottom line is that in a 100 lb. bag of 10 - 10 - 10, 10 lbs will be N
(as NH3 or NO3), 10 lb. of P2O5 = 4.4 lb. P, and 10 lb. of K2O = 8.3 lb.
of K.

Anybody still awake?

And that's why I said it the way I did.

See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fertilizer for further confusion.