Old 09-06-2009, 09:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Minchin Bob Minchin is offline

Default Big bird ( not Sesame Street )

Mo Leo wrote:
I seem to get rooks, jackdors, magpies etc in my garden.... I do still
get a few small birds but how can I encourage them when the big birds
are eating all the nuts and seeds before the little ones get a look in.

We had just this problem last year with pigeons getting bigger and
bigger and keeping out the small birds. This year the seeds are in small
hanging feeders. Only the small birds will hang on these and it seems to
be succeeding. The pigeons sit on the roof looking but rarely land and
then only get a few seeds the small birds drop.
We are getting sparrows, chaffinches, greefinches, tits & wrens regularly.

Bob