Old 09-06-2009, 10:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_4_] Sacha[_4_] is offline

Default Big bird ( not Sesame Street )

On 2009-06-09 19:34:07 +0100, Mo Leo said:

I seem to get rooks, jackdors, magpies etc in my garden.... I do still
get a few small birds but how can I encourage them when the big birds
are eating all the nuts and seeds before the little ones get a look in.

On the whole, the larger birds are ground feeders, so put some stuff
out for them on the grass or terrace. Our rooks scavenge for
themselves, the jackdaws take bits of bread and seed from the ground,
magpies rarely visit and are discouraged if they do. Smaller birds
often prefer hanging bird feeders that the bigger birds won't go for,
so in a separate area of the garden, perthaps in some light covering of
overhanging trees and shrubs, hang peanut and seed feeders and even
bird tables that take scraps of bacon rind etc. That said, I must
admit that I had a slightly bonkers blackbird perched on top a a fat
ball feeder in a mesh bag at second storey level in our house. But he
returned time and again and was, clearly very happy pretending he was a
bluetit! Evolution in action, perhaps!
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com
Shrubs & perennials. Tender & exotics.