Old 10-06-2009, 09:18 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Kate Morgan Kate Morgan is offline

Default Horse Manure

I am going tomorrow to pick up some 2 year old manure.
Is it best to leave it longer than this, or can it be put down now. I
am in no hurry to get it down obviously but wonder if it will be better
with a little more age, like a fine wine lol.
The lady told me there is some old stuff, 2 years, and some new stuff.
I am taking rubble bags and someone told me once not to leave the tops
open on the bags when storing them as the rain washes all the goodness
away.
Thanks Simon

A lot of people buy/sell manure that's been lying around in a heap open to
all weathers. But I think you should check that the animals it comes from
haven't been grazing on fields treated with the weed killer that wrecked
so many garden and allotment crops last year. I can't remember its name
but someone here will. It caused quite a lot of problems so I think you'd
be wise to check on that.

aminopyralid
--

Stewart Robert Hinsley

If you are into organic gardening check out what medicines the horses have
been taking.
I put the manure on top the ground later in the year, I don't bother to dig
it in it just takes care of itself. I don't think there is a right or wrong
way just do what suits you and your circumstances :-)

kate