Old 10-06-2009, 12:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Plant ID Please

In article ,
says...
Unfortunately I've no pic at the moment but hope my description will enable
someone to ID it.

There is a large fan of spiky bluey green leaves (similar to iris) together
with a central stem which is now some 6' high. The stem has opened out into
some 10 sections alternately left and right of the stem. I do recall an
orange flower on it last year - but it certainly didn't reach the height it
is at now - and that was the first time it had flowered since we moved here
in 2001.

I did wonder if it could be a strelitzia or heliconia but the leaves seem
wrong - according to my research if it was one of these, then it would have
"banana plant" leaves - which this certainly doesn't.

Hope someone can help.

Jeanne

Wachendorfia thyrsiflora? or Watsonia?
--